Unless I’m very much mistaken, this is one of those rare occasions where the US and the UK get a long weekend at the same time – so let’s celebrate with some Friday free fiction, eh?
A trio from ManyBooks.net:
- “A Prize For Edie” by J F Bone
- “Planetoid 127” by Edgar Wallace
- “Wreckers of the Star Patrol” by Malcolm Jameson
From Paul McAuley:
I’ve added a new short story, “A Brief Guide To Other Histories“, to my fiction archive. First published in Postscripts #15, it shares the same multiverse as [McAuley’s latest novel] Cowboy Angels.
The latest from Apex Online:
- “Through Thy Bounty” by Lucy A Snyder
- “The Finger” by Matt Hults
There’s some new stuff at Subterranean Online; I’m not entirely sure what’s newest, because either I’ve not been paying attention or their feed hasn’t been coming through to my reader properly of late. So, my apologies if I’ve posted any of these already, or missed any out:
- “Kilimanjaro” by Mike Resnick (the first instalment of a serialised piece; more to come in the weeks ahead)
- “Like Father” by John Farris
- “Big Man: a Fable” by Joe R. Lansdale
- “The Midland Specter” by David Prill
- “Them Shoes” by C. E. Murphy
From Jayme Lynn Blaschke, Memory #21:
Flavius recoiled from the creature, throwing up his arm between them. The thing stared at him briefly, nictating membranes sliding quickly across the eyes before its spindly arms abruptly produced a translucent, frosted dinner plate with crusted orange balls delicately arranged upon it. It deftly set the plate before Flavius as another arm deposited a tall flute of burgundy liquid on the table. It cocked its head without saying a word, then swiftly retreated straight up.
From Jay Lake:
The tarot issue of Behind the Wainscot has gone live. This includes my short-short “Heirophant Bridge“, along with a number of other short-shorts and flash pieces by a wide assortment of authors. Quick, interesting read.
The sixteenth (!) DVD extra from Shadow Unit is called “Mythology”
Via SF Signal, we hear that Jeffrey Carver has released his novel Neptune Crossing as a free ebook in a variety of formats, which you can download from Starrigger.com; looks like there’s some stories as webpages there, too.
From the same tips list, a couple of titles at the curiously named Munseys:
- The Defiant Agents by Andre Norton
- “The Sundering Flood” by William Morris
And here’s a handful from the Friday Flashers:
- Neil Beynon is looking for “Ground Cover“
- Phred Serenissima is moving “Towards Sanction“
- Justin Pickard reminds us that “There Is No Lion“
- Gaie Sebold meets a “Foreign Student“
That’s your lot – plenty to be going on with there, I think. In the meantime, keep your tip-offs and plugs coming through – this time only the deadline is 1800 GMT THURSDAY, because I’m out of town on Friday week and will need to pre-compile. Have a great weekend!