Once again, the weekend has sneaked up on me almost without being noticed… if it weren’t for G-Cal and Remember The Milk I’d probably forget to eat most days. But Friday tends to stick in the mind, because that’s the day I wrap up another big list of the past week’s free science fiction stories on the intertubes. Onward!
Here’s few from FeedBooks:
- “The God in the Box” by Sewell Peaslee Wright
- “The Crystal Crypt” by Philip K Dick
- “The Defenders” by Philip K Dick
Missed this one last week (only human, sorry!); a message from Jeffrey A Carver via Tor.com:
Eternity’s End is my Nebula-nominated novel about a star rigger named Legroeder who sets out in search of the lost ship Impris, Flying Dutchman of the stars. And along the way, encounters interstellar pirates and some deep-cyber romance. This book is free range, free running, cage free, up on the web for you to download for free!
Issue #86 of HUB Magazine includes two stories:
- “Wink” by Lucy Kemnitzer
- “Tastes of the Dark” by Malin Larsson
Even though Jason Stoddard has now sold the hardback rights to Eternal Franchise, he’s still giving the whole thing away; we’re up to chapter 7.1
Another DVD extra from Shadow Unit Season 2: “Scene”
From the prolific Lee Gimenez:
I just wanted to let you know that my short story “Unhistory” was just published in the May 2009 issue of Orion’s Child Magazine.
From Nancy Jane Moore:
On Book View Cafe this week, you can read:
“Cat T’ai Chi“, a graphic whimsey by Ursula K Le Guin; “Running the Road“, a longish flash fiction from Nancy Jane Moore; Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff‘s “Heroes“, which is novelette-length; “Waterwoman Nude“, a brand new story from Kate Daniel; a memoir from BVC’s newest member Alma Alexander, “Houses in Africa“; and a bonus scene — not in the print book — from Pati Nagle‘s new book, The Betrayal.
And that’s just a tiny amount of the free material available on the Book View Cafe site, which has everything from serialized novels to plays.
You heard the lady – go take a look.
And here’s a few extras via SF Signal and their diligent inter-ma-web filtration-elves:
- Afterburn SF presents “Ten Little Phobias” by Bev Vincent
- Issue 131 of AntipodeanSF has appeared, including stories by Kieran Salsone, Tom Williams, David Scholes, Mark Farrugia, Shaun A Saunders, Jamie Richter, Scott Wilson, Jan Napier, Simon Petrie, and Mika F Cella
- Marie Brennan is offering (in multiple formats) the free novella “Deeds of Men“…a story that takes place between Midnight Never Come and her upcoming novel In Ashes Lie.
- Baen’s Webscription presents “The Menace from Earth” by Robert Heinlein
And it looks like that’s the lot. Unfortunately, Keyboard Cat is contractually unable to play me off unless I bribe his management with cargo containers full of fresh tuna, so I’ll simply end with the usual request to keep us posted about anything you think merits inclusion in next week’s round-up, and the suggestion that you have yourself a damn good weekend. *waves*