It’s the first Friday of the month, which means the usual bumper crop of free science fiction stories for you to read… though I would just like to draw your attention to Futurismic‘s own contribution to April’s harvest, namely “A Programmatic Approach to Perfect Happiness“, penned by no less a luminary than Tim Pratt.
So, go read Tim’s story, then tuck in to whatever takes your fancy from the following fictional finger-buffet…
A brace from ManyBooks:
Four from FeedBooks:
- “I Like Martian Music” by Charles E Fritch
- “Flight Through Tomorrow” by Stanton Arthur Coblentz
- “Stopover” by William Gerken
- “Bolden’s Pets” by Floyd L Wallace
Yet more preliminary extra material from Season 2 of Shadow Unit: “Consumption”
SpaceWesterns is keeping it old-school with a reprinted classic: “A Curious Pleasure Excursion” by Mark Twain
New month, new issue of Clarkesworld:
- “Rolling Steel: a Pre-apocalyptic Love Story” by Jay Lake and Shannon Page
- “The Dying World” by Lavie Tidhar
Is it just me, or has Farrago’s Wainscot had a redesign? Either which way, they’re got a new issue online with six stories for you to read:
- “Wasp Light“ by Bruce Boston & Lee Ballentine
- “Four Last Things: A Disruption of Boschtown“ by Toiya Kristen Finley
- “The Imogen Effect“ by Jason Fischer
- “Seven Men (in Various States of Fabrication)“ by Jason Heller
- “A Nameless Deed“ by S J Hirons
- “All the Worlds“ by Matthew Kressel
Back after a nasty hacker attack, Pantechnicon‘s latest issue went up last week. There’s a whole bunch of fiction to read there for nothing, so get to it. If you’re feeling particularly choosy, you can narrow it down to just the science fiction stuff.
Unstoppable anthology-makin’-machine John Joseph Adams has launched the website for Federations, his new book of interstellar sf stories, which includes links to four free-to-read teaser tales:
- “The One with the Interstellar Group Consciousnesses” by James Alan Gardner
- “The Culture Archivist” by Jeremiah Tolbert
- “Carthago Delenda Est” by Genevieve Valentine
- “The Shoulders of Giants” by Robert J Sawyer
There are downloadable mobile document formats available on the Federations site itself, if that’s your preference.
Via pretty much everyone who contributed to it (and then some), the Hugo-nominated METAtropolis audiobook is available for free for a limited period at Audible.com.
Jayme Lynn Blaschke presents the thirty-sixth fragment of his Memory.
Jason Stoddard presents chapter 4.2 of Eternal Franchise
- The latest issue of The Future Fire presents stories by Eric Del Carlo, Nader Elhefnawy, Melanie Rees and Rob Sharp
- “The Mirror Men” by Stuart Clark
- Hairy Green Eyeball presents “The Second Shell” by Jack Williamson
- The Eldritch Dark, a Clark Ashton Smith tribute site, offers many of Smith’s stories online
Last but not least, here’s a little bit of Friday Flash Fiction for you:
That should keep you occupied for a while, I think. Don’t forget to shoot us a message if there’s something you think warrants inclusion in next week’s round-up; in the meantime, have a good weekend.